Girls Varsity Basketball · Lady Panthers open district with pair of losses

Dec 19, 2018

The Portland girls opened District 9-AAA action last week with a pair of losses.

Last Friday night, the Lady Panthers dropped a 62-22 decision to visiting Mt. Juliet on Thursday. The Lady Bears, a regular state tournament participant, used a 11-0 run over the final four minutes of the opening half to extend a 12-point lead to 23 at intermission.

“We were down by 12 in the second quarter and it was some of the best basketball we had played all season,” PHS coach Scott Steinbrecher said. “Our effort was good tonight and we got some shots we didn’t get Tuesday. Every time we did what we were supposed to do, they had an answer.”

Mt. Juliet had six players with at least eight points in the contest including Davis with 13 and Jones and Osborne each netting ten.

“Mt. Juliet is long and athletic with good shooters and post play,” Steinbrecher explained. “Their passes were crisp and on the money. You can’t take everything away from them.”

Portland was led by Lillie Whitehead with nine points with Haley Dickens firing in five and Sami Parker finishing with three. Mackenzie Hodges and Rayleigh each had two and Daley McCloud rounded out the scoring with one.

The Lady Panthers made nine field goals while the visitors sank 23 including eight from the 3-point stripe.

“We have a long road to get where we need to be,” Steinbrecher said. “You can’t judge this team by tonight’s game.”

The Purple trailed 16-6 after one quarter of action and were behind 21-9 with four minutes left in the first half.

Mt. Juliet went on a 11-0 run to close the half and led 32-9.

After a third-quarter bucket by the Lady Panthers’ Hodges, Mt. Juliet stretched their advantage to 34, 45-11 after scoring 13 unansweredpoints. The third-period margin was 48-15 and a 14-2 outburst in the fourth stanza gave the Lady Bears their final margin of victory.

On Dec. 11, the Lady Panthers fell to the Station Camp 45-19. Fifteen first-half turnovers doomed the Purple as Portland trailed 18-2 after one quarter of action and faced a 24-point deficit at intermission.

“We went over things in practice that Station Camp was going to do,” Coach Scott Steinbrecher explained after the contest. “We got into a track meet with them and got ran out of the gym. They got momentum, their players were hungrier, and we had nothing.”